20.6.09

Alas, Alack

I have been completely remiss in keeping up with the blogging world.  Partly because I have only had internet one other time than this, but excuses, I know.  What I have decided to do is as soon as I get home, I'm going to start posting my journal entries from Germany, so that I can catch up on what I have not filled in the internet world with.  

In the meantime, here is a little story that served to only confirm my love for Great Britain.  Upon leaving Frankfurt, I flew directly into London, whereupon I would take a train to Chester later on in the day.  As a result, I had an afternoon to spare in Londontown.  Dropping off my worldly goods at the bag check in Euston Station (for quite a hefty fee, might I add), I ventured out into the grey and fog.  After purchasing my underground pass, I headed straight for what any good English major would, the book alley just off Leicester Square.  Barely containing myself in the utopia of antiquity and dust, I dug through shelves, crates, and bins of gorgeous book after gorgeous book.  Amidst one shelf, I came across a book with a white slip sticking out of the top.  Generally speaking, any slip of paper sticking out of a book in a shop like this is a good sign, because it's making some sort of distinction concerning the work.  As I went to pull the book out of the back corner, my heart skipped a beat (that might be a little dramatic, but I must say books do have a powerful effect on me)...Needless to say, it was one of the most exciting finds I have ever made in a bookshop.  The book was a first edition, autographed copy of one of Dorothy L. Sayers plays, The Devil to Pay, and it was in mint condition might my add.  I would have loved nothing more than to pack it up and take it home with me, but considering it was a grand total of  ₤250 I thought I had better pass.  However, I feel better having experienced such a piece of art, even if I could not take it with me...

Thus, solidifies my love for British book shops, I think you can understand why.

No comments: